Welcome to the companion blog to my portfolio website www.colwellillustration.com.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Aquaman

I don't think I've ever drawn Aquaman before.  This one is also for the Ten Ton Studios sketch challenge.  Done 11x17 with HB and 2B graphite.

As you can see, I'm still trying to work through lots of anatomy issues and continue to struggle with hands.  I used the wrapping lines a bit more decisively than in the Green Lantern picture, but still working to get them to help define the forms and not creating too much surface texture.

I've been working digitally more in the past few years with my Wacom Intuos2 in Adobe PhotoShop.  This has spoiled me in some ways.  Mainly, if I draw something too small or just plain wrong I can re-size or add  layer on top and draw over it.  Can't do that in traditional ways as easily.  Unfortunately, the Ten Ton challenges are for traditional media only, so the digital isn't an option.  I supposed I could work it all out digitally, print it, lightbox it, and finish it that way--but that's way too much work for a sketch.  Plus this is good practice for doing convention sketches.  That said, I'd still love to get my hands on a Wacom Cintiq 21ux and do the majority of my work on that. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment