Welcome to the companion blog to my portfolio website www.colwellillustration.com.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cintiq fun

I've been trying to spend more time with the greatly creative folks at the Periscope Studio in nearby downtown Portland, OR.  I go on most Thursdays now and have spent my time sketching at a small central table soaking in the creativity and camaraderie of  the crew there.  Today was a little different.  There were some Wacom employees there talking product, taking pictures, and just interacting with their customer base.  Most of the artist at Periscope Studio have a Wacom product of some sort, mainly Cintiq 12WX's and a few 21UX's.  They also have a computer room that houses a few Macs attached to more 21UX's. Yes, it is a truly awesome sight.  Which brings me to today's art post.  Since I'm not a member of the Studio I thought I'd bow out of the interviewing area and went to play on one of the open 21UX's.  A few minutes of getting used to the glass thickness of the monitor and quite a few more minutes getting used to a Mac (I use a PC at my studio) and I was up and drawing.  I've never felt anything like it.  The sensation of working on screen was so natural I'm not sure how I'll go back to my old model Intuos 2.  In about 2.5 hours this is what I came up with.  Not the greatest drawing, and evidence that I really should thumbnail first, but it was so much fun working on the Cintiq that I wanted to post it.

Done in Photoshop CS3 with Cintiq 21UX.

No comments:

Post a Comment